What To Do If You Get Into An Accident With A Drunk Driver

Approximately 30 people die in DUI accidents in the U.S. every day, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Each year, 10,000 Americans are killed in DUI accidents, resulting in $44 billion in damages.

If you are involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, the attorneys at Morefield Speicher Bachman encourage you to do the following:

Call The Police And Remain At The Scene

It is essential for a DUI accident case to have a police report. Even if no one is seriously injured, law enforcement officers can help document the scene and measure the BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) of the person who hit you.

Obtain The Other Driver’s Information

It is important to get information from the drunk driver as soon as possible in case they attempt to flee before police arrive. Gather information such as the driver’s license plate, name, address, and insurance information.

Collect Evidence And Witness Statements 

Take as many pictures as you can of the accident scene, your injuries, and the vehicles involved. Talk to witnesses about what they saw if you are physically able to do so. Witnesses may provide written or video accounts of what happened. It is important to gather information as soon as possible since memories deteriorate with time. This is an area where we can help. When we get involved in a case, we will take necessary witness statements and investigate the accident. We will evaluate whether to retain expert witnesses for accident reconstruction or evaluation of the motor vehicles.

Seek Medical Attention

Get medical attention as soon as you can leave the scene. Insurance claims require documentation of your injuries. You should still see a doctor for an examination even if you don’t have obvious injuries.

Notify Your Insurance Carrier

Once you report the accident to your insurance company, you will likely hear from an adjuster from the other driver’s insurance company. The drunk driver’s insurance company may offer you a small settlement, but the drunk driver’s insurance company is unlikely to cover the full extent of your medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress unless you have an attorney.

Contact Our Overland Park Car Accident Lawyers

With decades of experience helping Kansas City and Missouri residents who suffered severe car accident injuries, our Overland Park car accident lawyers are here to help. We have helped numerous victims of drunk drivers and their families. The level of service we provide to each and every client is one of our greatest strengths. We focus on helping our clients recover what they have lost and will fight aggressively to ensure that they receive the compensation they deserve. If you have been injured in an accident, fill out a contact form or call us at (913) 839 2808.