What to Do if You Are Injured by a Drunk Driver

dui drunk driving car accident

Drunk drivers threaten the safety of everyone on roads and highways. As the holiday season approaches, the chances of being involved in an alcohol-related crash increase as binge drinking occurs more frequently. Families suffer greatly when a person is hit by a drunk driver, and we see this story play out thousands of times every year. 

If you or a loved one suffered injuries at the hands of an intoxicated driver, you may be able to file a claim against the liable party and seek compensation for your injuries and damages. 

Damages from Being Hit by a Drunk Driver

Those involved in drunk driving crashes may suffer life-altering injuries such as broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries, neck injuries, lacerations, and paralysis. These injuries come with expensive medical bills and victims will need to take time off of work to recover. Additionally, victims of drunk drivers usually have harms and losses that are far greater than the medical bills and lost wages. In some cases, we may be able to recover punitive damages from the drunk driver.

An auto body shop will analyze the damage to your vehicle and give you a written estimate of what it will cost to repair it. If the repairs exceed the value of your car, the vehicle might be considered a total loss.

Who Is Responsible for Paying these Damages?

You could suffer long-term health issues and financial losses due to an accident with a drunk driver. A personal injury claim can help you compensate for these losses. When a driver gets behind the wheel after drinking, they are violating the law and acting negligently. Damages are the responsibility of the at-fault driver and their insurance company. 

Damages may also be the fault of the restaurant or bar that over-served the drunk driver. In Missouri, the law will hold a restaurant or bar responsible for damages caused by a drunk driver if they continued to serve alcohol to the driver after he or she was visibly intoxicated. Proving the bar’s knowledge of the condition of their customer requires prompt, aggressive investigative work. If you think a bar or restaurant may bear responsibility for the driver’s intoxication, contact one of our attorneys as soon as possible so that we can begin the process of locating and preserving evidence.

What to Do if You Get in an Accident with a Drunk Driver

A personal injury attorney can assist you when you have been injured in a drunk driving accident. Your lawyer will gather all your medical records to determine the extent of your injuries. An accident involving a drunk driver typically results in medical expenses, lost wages, future medical expenses, and property damage.

Our Overland Park personal injury attorneys at Morefield Speicher Bachman are committed to obtaining maximum compensation for our clients. We guide clients through the challenging process of a car accident and maintain a close line of communication with them throughout.

In the event you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a drunk driving accident, call (913) 839 2808 for a free and confidential case evaluation.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *