Being a passenger in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. The sudden impact, the noise, and the fear can be overwhelming. In the chaos of the moment, it can be difficult to remember everything you need to do to protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Here are some important steps to take if you are a passenger injured in a car accident:
- Stay calm. This is easier said than done, but it is important to stay calm so that you can think clearly and make good decisions. Take a few deep breaths and assess the situation. If you are able to, check yourself and others for injuries.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t think you are injured, some injuries may not be immediately apparent. Get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible.
- Report the accident to the police. This will create a record of the accident, which can be important if you later file a personal injury lawsuit. The police report will document the details of the accident, including the names and contact information of the drivers, the damage to the vehicles, and any witnesses.
- Exchange information with the other driver. This includes their name, address, insurance information, and contact information. This information will be important if you need to file a claim with their insurance company.
- Document your injuries. This includes taking pictures of your injuries, keeping a journal of your pain and symptoms, and getting copies of your medical records. This documentation will be important if you later file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options, and they can represent you in a personal injury lawsuit if necessary.
By following these steps, you can protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Overland Park Car Accident Lawyers
Being a passenger in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. However, by following these steps, you can protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve. Morefield Speicher Bachman focuses on helping clients recover what they have lost and will fight aggressively to ensure that they receive the compensation they deserve. If you have been injured in an accident, fill out a contact form or call us at (913) 839-2808.