Roundabouts are an increasingly common feature of the modern roadway. But despite their convenience, roundabouts have their own set of dangers. That’s why it’s important for drivers to understand the risks associated with traveling through roundabouts so that they can make informed decisions behind the wheel. The team at Morefield Speicher Bachman wants to help you do just that by providing this comprehensive guide to understanding and avoiding roundabout-related accidents. If you have been injured in a car accident at a roundabout or any intersection, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
The Pros and Cons of Roundabouts
Roundabouts are becoming increasingly popular in the US due to their ability to reduce congestion, increase safety, and save money. They can also be a great way to control traffic flow if they’re designed correctly. However, they can be dangerous if drivers don’t take the time to understand how they work.
Here are some of the pros and cons associated with roundabouts:
- Improve traffic flow by eliminating congestion caused by stoplights
- Improve safety because vehicles must slow down before entering
- Can reduce emissions due to elimination of stop-and-go traffic patterns
- Cost less to maintain than traditional intersections with stoplights
- Typically require more space than other types of intersections
- Can be confusing for drivers unfamiliar with roundabouts or who are not paying attention
- Poorly-designed roundabouts have been found to increase crash rates, resulting in higher insurance premiums
- Dangerous for pedestrians to cross due to the size of the intersection and vehicles not stopping
Understanding Roundabout Dangers and Causes of Accidents
It’s important for you to understand the potential risks associated with traveling through roundabouts so that you can make informed decisions behind the wheel. The most common causes of accidents at roundabouts include:
- Inexperience – Drivers who are not familiar with how roundabouts work may try to pass through too quickly or fail to yield appropriately. This is especially common among inexperienced teenage drivers.
- Driver Distraction – Many drivers become distracted as they enter a roundabout and fail to pay attention to where they need to go next. Drivers need to plan ahead as they approach a roundabout and they need to be aware of vehicles approaching from other directions. It’s important that all drivers stay focused while traveling through a roundabout in order to avoid an accident.
- Speeding – Speeding is one of the leading causes of accidents at any intersection, including roundabouts. It’s important for drivers to obey posted speed limits while making their way through a roundabout in order to minimize their risk of an accident.
How Morefield Speicher Bachman Can Help
At Morefield Speicher Bachman, we understand that navigating a busy roadway can be tricky, regardless of whether it contains a traditional intersection or a roundabout. Our Overland Park personal injury attorneys are committed to obtaining the maximum possible compensation for our clients. We are here to help guide clients through the challenging process of navigating a car accident and maintain a close line of communication with them throughout.
In the event you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a roundabout accident, call (913) 839-2808 for a free and confidential case evaluation.